Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Edible Souvenirs

This recent article in the NY Times about edible souvenirs and the lengths people go to bring them back (and how it's just not the same thing ordering them online) got me thinking about all of the foods and beverages specific to a place that you can't get elsewhere and wish you could. So I came up with a list of some of my top faves from over the years:
  1. Zhivchik (Живчик) Apple Soda from Ukraine: I was surprised to discover there's a Facebook group devoted to this apparently popular Ukrainian beverage. Although I haven't been to Ukraine for several years now, during one period, I was spending an inordinate amount of time there for work and developed a liking to this unique soda, which although marketed to children, Ukrainian friends told me is good for hangovers (which you need after consuming too much honey pepper vodka!). It's also supposed to strengthen the immune system, because it has echinacea and vitamin C in it. I would always bring several cans of this back with me, and beg my Ukrainian friends to bring it when they would visit. I have never been able to find it in the States, but it's stuck with me. It's a very refreshing carbonated natural apple juice.
  2. Dick's Drive-In Cheeseburgers from Seattle: This is one of the classic Seattle establishments that has stayed true since 1954. Every time I fly to Seattle to visit my parents, right after or en route to the airport, it's a tradition to stop off and get our Dick's fix in the form of a Deluxe, cheeseburger, fries with tartar sauce and sometimes a chocolate shake. Well, the fries and shake obviously would not travel well, but you can definitely pick up some cheeseburgers and stick them in your freezer.
  3. Beignets and Coffee from Café du Monde in New Orleans: Although you can now widely buy the Café du Monde products outside of New Orleans, somehow they just taste better bought there. Of course the ideal experience is savoring them al fresco in the French Quarter.
  4. Lebanese Sweets and Wine: Lebanese cuisine in general is some of the best in the world in my opinion! Although you can buy Middle Eastern sweets in our neighborhood (including at our absolute favorite pastry shop, Laziza in Astoria), they don't taste nearly as good and there isn't as much of a selection. You can't beat these sweets (any kind and there are so many kinds) and can conveniently pick them up very fresh (although a bit more expensive) in the Beirut airport to take home with you (and for your friends if they make it!) Wine is one of my souvenir standbys anywhere I travel and I've perfected wrapping and burying the bottles in my checked luggage in a way in which I've never had any break (knock on wood!) If you're in Lebanon, make sure to visit the wineries. I've been to Chateau Ksara and it was a lovely experience. Of course, I ended up bringing a few bottles back to enjoy at home.
  5. Halva Roll Torte (торт с xалвой) from Moldova: This is one of those desserts I've never been able to find anywhere else and it is a fav of RR's. Every time he goes to visit his family and friends in Moldova, he has to bring one of these back. There's something delectable about the combination of creamy sunflower seed paste halva (different from most halva you can get here, which is made from tahini - sesame paste), rolled up in spongy cake. Maybe some day I'll attempt to make one. Here's one recipe I found online.
  6. Canadian Candy Bars: Why is it that candy bars from Canada have always seemed better and more interesting than their American counterparts? Whenever I'm in Canada, I go to a drugstore or grocery store and load up on ridiculous amounts of Nestle Coffee Crisp, assorted Cadbury goodies, and Macintosh's Toffee. On my last trip to Vancouver several years ago, I was so upset when I realized that I had left my big bag o'Canadian candy and candy bars in the airport.
I know there are tons more, but these were the ones that popped into my head first. What are some of your memorable edible souvenirs from places you've visited over the years?

Btw, here is another related article on bringing back food from the San Francisco Chronicle. And here is a list of what you can and can't bring back to the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment