Sunday, August 15, 2010

Cooking Channel: tagline "For Food People By Food People"

I just discovered this new food channel, which is such a good alternative to the very tired, plastic Food Network. I was so excited to turn on the TV last night and find the show, "Two Fat Ladies," which I understand has kind of a cult following. I hadn't seen it in ages. My mom and I used to love to watch these two unconventional British motor-cycling smoking heavy-drinking outrageous women with crazy-long fingernails cook. Kind of like more unrefined and completely unselfconscious caricatures of Julia Child. When I saw some other shows in The Cooking Channel's line-up, I started feeling nostalgic, reminiscing about watching all the oldies but goodies like cute little Jamie Oliver way back before anyone really knew who he was or associated him with the mainstream show he recently did that seemed to create quite a buzz. And who could forget Graham Kerr (aka "The Galloping Gourmet")? I still have a cooking tool - an indispensable scraper I picked up secondhand ages ago from his line. Of course he was a lot more fun before he quit drinking and got all healthy. :-) One of the first real meals I made for my family when I was growing up in the '80's  - Spinach/Ricotta Stuffed Shells - was inspired by another cooking show from the same vintage. I used to watch "The Frugal Gourmet" on PBS and then record shows on our VCR to cook later. The host, Jeff Smith, who was from Seattle, I recall turned out to be an alleged pedophile (yikes!), which goes without saying kind of put a damper on his career. But the recipe still stands today as one of my favorites. Although I couldn't find the exact one, and I just ad lib when I make it, for a fairly close version you can go here or here. The key is to use A LOT of garlic. I just made a version last night in the form of a pasta with sauce, not baked. Too bad we don't have any pictures to share - it was delizioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment